The other day I was shadowing an infectious disease doctor-- in my opinion the greatest specialty around-- and I feel as if I now have some pretty weird patient encounters that I deem worthy to share.
Patient One: HIV positive and has a new complaint of anal warts. Patient describes that the aforementioned warts are bothersome to his sexual life. Then I go on to ask if he has any concerns due to his condition. While thinking--OF COURSE HE HAS CONCERNS why am I bothering with this question. Needless to say this was an embarrassing situation all together and I now wonder how ID doctors can keep from laughing in the clinical setting. It took a lot of inner soul searching to stiffen my laughter.
My question now is: how do doctors keep from laughing at their patients? I know from experience at the hospital that they have no qualms with making fun of them with other professionals or really just anyone around , but GEEZ, I dont know if I can make it through another anal wart encounter.
No comments:
Post a Comment