Monday, July 27, 2009

Case Conference

I was introduced to the world of case conference today. Where residents, fellows, and prestigious ID physicians got together to discuss two separate cases. One might say it was a "pimping" extravaganza. I personally think that the attendings spent their entire night researching the most obscure and off the topic minute details about medicine and then asked the resident about aforementioned detail to make the resident look like an ass. It was pretty funny as an onlooker I have to say. The first patient who recently passed had novel h1n1 (swine flu) and what was so intriguing about the whole thing is that the strain of h1n1 was actually airborne... SCARY. Considering it should only be contact precautions which opens up a whole new world to the swine flu. The PHD I work with is the head of the CDC division here in san antonio and has been conducting a 15 year research project. Which is a really big deal if you know how research and grants goes. Anyways, he says the swine flu should be a relatively big threat this season due to the recent activity in the southern hemisphere. I digressed though, back to case conference. Here are a few quotes I heard from some attendings.
"Well why dont we just pull out her nose hair she would at least be aesthetically pleasing."
" Shit, are you fucking trying to kill your patients or are you simply that ignorant?"
" That women smelled like shit. How am I supposed to see patients if they smell like feces its their fault I cant stay in the room." (excuse for not knowing ANYTHING about his patient."

Cant wait to see what I get out of next weeks case conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment