Less serious matters if you haven't seen Religulous by bill maher I suggest you watch it immediately. It exposes the rediculous aspects of religion as a whole. I enjoyed him calling out religious figures for what they really are. He also exposed the intolerance of GLBT and I was glad somebody finally pointed out how dangerous religion can be. One woman was protesting exclaiming that it wasnt her that hated gay people it was God therefore she wanted to kill them. REALLY??? Shouldnt the creator of life someone whose supposed to be perfect in all ways really want to kill. It seems to go against everything the christian religion is supposed to be about. However, there was a church devoted to pot smoking. That seemed pretty amazing within itself... Not that I smoke but seriously a church of pot hahaha it makes me laugh...
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Reflection...
I seem to have had some interesting patient experiences that often make me question if medicine is right for me. However, sometimes I come across a patient that forces me to take a step back and reflect upon my life and what I want from life. This morning I was rounding with the residents and I walked into the room of a reserved 16 yo girl. She was under suicide watch and was restrained. I had to wonder what in her life was so bad that she couldn't handle life and wanted out. She was a ballerina and couldn't handle the pressure of keeping her weight down and she said she simply couldn't do it anymore. It made me think because I was once a ballet dancer and I remember being underweight and still would have to lose 10 lbs to perform. It made me realize that doctors get to experience some of the most intimate moments with a patient. Reflecting upon their suicide seems like one of those intimate moments. They also get to be present for birth and death and the decisions that go along with both of those. It was a lot to take in for one morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment