Sunday, May 3, 2009

WHY so serious?

Is it just me or are pre-med students a whole other breed or even species if you will when it comes to the realm of collegiates. I am beginning to wonder if having an interest in medicine means to insert a long probe like object into your anus and leave it there for your remaining college career. What about being "pre-med" entitles a student to a sense of grandious behaviour?
Case in Point: Today being the friendly collegiate pre med that I am I was handing out flyers for the pre-med society social gathering( ok yes I admit it I am in a pre-med society and I am a bit ashamed, but hey im social). This gathering includes trying to round up more gunner students to pay dues to me so I can go on fancy trips to medical schools and such. Its all very legit. I meet a student who is obtaining a liberal arts degree and was considering medicine. I was excited that this person was not a robotic, question asking, cut-throat, typical type A like the others. We began talking and I made sure to invite this student to the aforementioned end of the year bash. A fellow pre med officer decides to take it upon himself to degrade this person because they were a liberal arts major whom appearantly wasnt smart enough to make the cut. ( I mean REALLY? your a pre-medical society officer; could you have a more socially embarassing title) Also because this person in question did not have their own special spot at the library and didnt obstain from all things social and good they just didnt have what it takes.
OK, since when is having the ability to function in other subjects besides science a bad thing? Would it be horrible if doctors not only wrote orders but did so with flawless sentence structure and adequate spelling? Is is bad if someone other than the typical gunner, socially awkward student would like to wear a fancy white coat and prescribe medications. ( while i know there is more to being an M.D the white coat and prescription pad are the two main contributing factors behind my application, dont lie and say your not impressed) With that being said this certain pre-med student proceeded to leave the room and fall on his ass making the world somehow seem right again. BTW could I have used the term pre-med anymore? geez...........

No comments:

Post a Comment